A dental crown, or cap, fits over a tooth to restore and protect dental tissue. We create our crowns in house with our Planmeca milling machine. Each crown is custom designed to your individual tooth (or dental implant) so it can fit and function naturally. Most often, our dentists will recommend this when restoring a tooth with a root that is still healthy. Dental implants are also often completed with a dental crown.
- Remove any damaged tissue that may interfere with the fit or stability of the restoration.
- Take an impression of the new bite to ensure the restoration fits properly.
- Choose a customized color for the dental crown’s porcelain.
- Provide a temporary restoration while the permanent crown is being made.
- Schedule you to come in for a second appointment to fit the permanent crown.
Bridges are dental prosthetics our dentists can use to replace a missing tooth. Usually, these work best for patients who have some amount of gum recession or when neighboring teeth have tooth decay or large fillings.
Types of Bridges:
- Traditional — The cap is anchored to two neighboring teeth, bridging the gap left by the missing tooth.
- Cantilever — Only one cap is anchored to a single neighboring tooth.
- Resin-bonded — The appliance includes teeth made of porcelain or plastic, as well as gums supported by metal wings.
If you would like to improve the appearance of your smile, our team at Chevy Chase Dental Center may recommend dental veneers. Veneers help improve many different dental flaws and are non-invasive. Each is made of a thin porcelain or resin that can cover the surface of the enamel and blend in with neighboring teeth.
Common Uses for Veneers:
- Breaks or chips in the enamel
- Irregularly shaped teeth
- Stains that cannot be fixed with dental whitening
If you have any questions about dental crowns, dental bridges or dental veneers in Washington, DC, contact our dental office at 202-362-3353. Dr. Akram Sannaa are here to help you!