Dental implants help patients restore their smile after tooth loss. The structure of the implant mimics that of a natural tooth, from the crown to the dental root. The crown is the top, visible portion of the tooth. Because this is used to chew food, it is regularly exposed to bacteria and is liable to cavities and tooth decay. The crown is anchored in place by the dental root. The root attaches the tooth to the jawbone, leaving a space behind if the tooth is lost or removed. A tooth may be removed because of widespread decay, periodontal disease or orthodontic issues. When this happens, a dental implant can replace the entire tooth structure and fill in the space left behind.
You can plan a dental implant in Washington, DC, with the help of our dentists. Our periodontist will first place the dental implant root, a titanium screw that is fitted to the jawbone socket. Once this site is healed, our dentists can complete your smile using an artificial dental crown. At Chevy Chase Dental Center, we make sure that the new crown fits your bite and blends in naturally with your smile. For more information, contact us at 202-362-3353 today.
What are the benefits of getting teeth implants?
- Implants function and look like normal teeth.
- With proper upkeep, implants can last for many years.
- Unlike dentures, implants don’t need messy adhesives.
- Following tooth loss, implants help restore a patient’s appearance and speech.
- Implants are comfortable and help patients bite and chew normally.